On Feb 15, 9:22 pm, Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

  Whatever question you can
> ask about a number has a factual answer, although you may not know it or
> how to find it...numbers are wholly defined by a set of axioms, it seems that
> they are more real than fictional characters.

But being able to answer question is essentially epistemic. It doesn't
imply any ontology in itself. The epistemic fact that we can , in
principle, answer
questions about real people may be explained by the existence and
perceptual accessibility
of real people: but our ability to answer questions about mathematical
objects
is explained by the existence of clear definitions and rules doesn't
need to posit
of existing immaterial numbers (plus some mode of quasi-perceptual
access
to them).

  But when you consider arithmetic as a whole this no