On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM, m.a. <marty...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>  Given modern physics and cosmology, does Nietzsche's idea of "eternal
> return" have any validity?    m.a.
>
> --

In a few ways I think it could be argued that it does.  One is the
oscillatory universe idea, which will happen if the mass of the universe is
below a certain threshold or if the expansion rate is not constant and will
decrease.  Currently it seems to be accelerating, however.  It is theorized
(I think by Loop Quantum Gravity or string theory) that at a point when all
the matter in the universe comes to a single point (or close to that)
gravity will momentarily reverse and cause a new expansion.  According to
the holographic principle, there is a finite number of ways the matter in a
finite volume of space can be arranged, so eventually the pattern will
repeat.

Also, by eternal inflation you could say there are an infinite number of
big-bangs, and again some of them would be duplicates of the observable
universe.

Lastly, you might argue that relativity's proposal of a 4-dimensional
space-time means we are always in every moment, which perhaps has similar
implications to the idea of living every moment of one's life an infinite
number of times.

Jason