Dear Bruno,
I wonder if you read my essay of 2000 "Science - Religion" upon which
Russell wrote in ire:
"Don't you dare calling my science a religion!" expressing similar (almost)
basis - not in the spirit of this list (or your particular stance), but
visualizing what I call 'conventional' science, the figment developed over
the past millennia upon halfway (maybe less) understood and partially
observed phenomena. - I mean 'THAT' efficient and miraculous technology,
what  humanity uses as of yesterday.

The only difference I can see as fundamental to your present post is the
application of the word:  *" T r u t h "*  of which you state: 'there is'. I
think: 'there is not'. There is YOUR truth and MY truth and in our
individual mini-solipsism (Colin) certain aspects may match - giving some
sort of communal belief system in scientific terms as well, so a ('partial')
truth has merits, what many may believe. Or: believe IN.

I find it dangerous to include funding from billionaires into establishing
more credit for the hearsay-based so called 'religions' - there is too much
in the world, without it. It not only stifles free thinking, it may give
justifiction to aberrant behavior, brutality, wars, oppression and hate,
above all the overpopulation of this Earth in the name of a "God-given-SOUL"
at conception.
(Never mind the animals and the artificial fertilization processes).

I could see a 'difference' between what people call religion vs, what people
call science in the methodology: in the former the hearsay-provided teaching
is *believed in faith -* while in the so called (conventional) sciences the
hearsay of (poorly- maybe mis-understood) observences (by lit and reputable
professors) is belived at face value, sometimes re-checked occasionally by a
methodology based on instruments designed FOR such belief system proper,
applying   the (re)trospectively occurring (presumable) results for a
(usually mathematical?) match, as the big 'scientific achievement' and
proof(?),  before including them into a faithful belief.

John M