On 19 Feb 2011, at 22:14, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

A bit off topic question. How embryogenesis fits comp, digital physics, ALG, and other diverse points of view expressed here? What mind-body research says about the development of mind from a single cell and then its death?

Embryogenesis fits very well. The second recursion theorem of Kleene provides the conceptual solution of a problem given by Descartes: how to build a machine capable of self-reproduction. I have explained the 'trick' sometimes. I use a generalisation by John Case to program 'planarias", that is programs which are ble to regenerate themselves when cut in parts. I illustrate that embryogenesis can be described by case's generalization of Kleene's recursion theorem. In fact in computer science, Kleene's theorem can be seen as the most fundamental theorem of 'abstract biology'.

The quitessence of the trick is to apply a duplicator D to itself. If Dx gives xx, DD gives DD.

The same trick is used for handling self-reference by machines and theories, or belief systems, and this leads to G and G*, and their variant.

Single complex cells like amoeba and paramecia or other sophisticated protozoa have, imo, a mind, and I collect the evidences that there are indeed complex infomation possible pathways implemented in those cells. I tend to believe that bacteria could have a mind, or some collective mind, but it is less obvious, unless you agree that a human is already a complex society of bacteria (a eucaryote cell can be seen as the house of bacteria, together perhaps one virus (the nucleus!).

The first person death of an amoeba? Hard question! I guess an amoeba might not filter a lot of consciousness flux, nor much memories, but I can't know that. With comp, consciousness might not be related to the 'brain volume'; those are very hard question, and they might depend on the way the WR are eliminated, that is how the physical laws emerge.

Individual bacteria are (Turing) universal, but plausibly not Löbian.

Bruno

Evgenii

P.S. By the way, in Second Life there is course where Prof Gordon & Gordon teach Embryogenesis Explained

Embryo Physics Course, most Thursdays at 2-3pm Pacific Time, held online at http://slurl.com/secondlife/Silver%20Bog/84/32/60

It gives a nice overview of the process in question.