On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM, 1Z <peterdjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 3:06 pm, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> we

> > > No

> > > Yes

> telling
> >
> > > Sort of.

> > > Yes

> > > Yes

> are
> > > very
> yet
> > > of
> > > surprise,
> two
> laws
> > > (few
> > > ordered

> you
> >
> > > "initial conditions" only come into where you have a temporal
> > > structure, and that only applies to some corners of Platonia
> >
> > Perhaps consciousness is only possible in universes with a temporal
> > structure over which the computation within the observer's mind is
> feasible.
>
> Maybe it's only possible in universes made of matter

Are you suggesting some form of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_naturalism ?

In any case, it seems there are two ways a line of questioning could end:

What is life made out of?  Cells.  What are cells made out of?  Chemicals.
What are chemicals made out of?  Atoms.  What are atoms made out of?
Quarks.  What are Quarks made out of?  Vibrating strings.  What are strings
made out of?

1. We don't know and can't say.
2. They are mathematical objects.

If matter is required for life how do you know matter isn't composed of
something more fundamental?

> of
> evolve
> > > from
> possibilities.

> > > often?
> which
>  For
> the
> more
> > > initial
> >
> > > Most of Platonia is structured in such a way that there isn't
> > > even a distinction between initial conditions  and laws.
> >
> > How long could an observe exist in such a universe, if at all?
>
> Why is that important? There are an awful lot of such universes, after
> all,
> so the chance of glimpsing one should be high

The question is what is bigger:
(Number of orderly universes * Expected number of observers in such a
universe) vs. (Number of chaotic universes * Number of observers in such a
universe)
Based on observations I have concluded the terms on the left must be
larger.  You have concluded the terms on the right must be larger and then
made other conclusions based on that.  I think any determination as to which
is larger would require evaluating the UDA very deeply, and having an
understanding of exactly what information patterns lead to conscious
observers (or something to that effect).  We are very far (technology wise)
from running the UDA that deeply, I think.

> > > I keep pointing out that  "it coudn't evolve, so it doesn't exist"
> > > doesn't apply to Platonia. Everything non contradictory exists there.
> > > Being contradictory is the only barrier to Platonic existence.
> >
> > Perhaps you did not read my message in detail.  I acknowledged there are
> > non-evolved observers in Platonia, however, they require extremely
> ordered
> > initial conditions
>
> No they don't. They don't require anything to evolve, and they
> don't need to be embedded in ordered universes since
> there is  no contradiction in so much order being bolted onto so
> much chaos.

Without laws there can be no meaningful computation, there will be only
random bit flips.  Random bit flips can not be used to build more complex
computations or information representations.  The information embodied by a
random bit flip never goes beyond the impact to that single bit.  Since I
think computation and information are necessities of consciousness I have
trouble seeing a universe without any laws producing an observer.

> >, and, the laws of such universes must be non-chaotic
> > enough that they aren't immediately destroyed thereafter.
>
> They don't necessarily have any laws.

Does your theory of consciousness allow observers to exist in a universe
without any laws?

> observers
> lack
> > > of
> >
> > > I don't see why ordered initial conditions would win out.
> >
> > Right, I think that disordered initial conditions win out.  Which is why
> > evolution is the most common path to observers.  Observers aren't present
> in
> > the disordered initial conditions, but follow because the ordered laws
> are
> > just right.
>
> You are commiting a False Dichotomy fallacy
>
> There are degrees of order and disorder. One of the intermediate
> degrees is a union of Ordered Observer and Chaotic Everything Else.
> There are
> many others

Do you consider the observer as part of his environment, or existing
independently from it?

If the observer is part of the environment, how is the disorder of the
sensory input separated from the order in the observers mind, and how did
the observer come to be?  Are you considering some type of Boltzmann Brain?

Thanks,

Jason