Hi Evgenii,

On 04 Mar 2011, at 13:05, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for answers. As usual, they are very enjoyable.

From my side I can offer nothing more. I guess that at the moment my point of view is some eclectic mixture, basically I am just collecting different ideas and theories.

I should say that some long time ago I used to have Introduction to Mathematical Logic by Church (in Russian) and I believe that I have even read the introduction in the book. I admire the nice equations in mathematical logic but I am not sure that I am able to comprehend them.

I have the book by Church, it is not the simplest one. I love his smaller book on lambda-calculus though, but Church missed Church thesis! "Church thesis" is a vocable made by Kleene, and it is really people like Post, Turing, and Kleene who get the point, imo.

I wanted to read Introduction to the Theory of Computation by Sipser that you recommend

I am not sure. i recommend usually Cutland, Rogers, or, Mendelson, Boolos and Jeffrey (+ Burguess for later edition), or Epstein and Carnielly.
Don't mind too much :)

but now I take the course Embryogenesis Explained in the Second Life and this is enough for the moment. Look for example here

http://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/wwwhuman/Stages/CStages.htm

Astonishing, isn't it?

Beautiful and wonderful.

Astonishing? I know I will perhaps look presumptuous, but I think that Kleene's second recursion theorem provides the conceptual solution of the Descarte-Driesch self-reproduction problem, I can argue that a generalization of Kleene's theorem provides the conceptual solution of embryogenesis, even of self-regeneration. I wrote a paper on that for the first european meeting on artificial life ("Amoeba, Planaria and Dreaming Machine"). I wrote a program 'planaria', having a lot of different subroutines, and which is such that when a subroutine (any of them) is isolated and given some flag as input, it regenerates the entire program. I even programmed an infinite planarian.

For theology, fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately, all the use of the second recursion theorem is encapsulated in the theorem by Solovay, linking the modal logic G and G* to the self-reference abilities of what I call the Löbian entities (notably the Löbian numbers , the Löbian theories, the Löbian machines, and a large spectrum of Löbian 'supermachine').

In "conscience et mécanisme", the long version of my PhD thesis, I do both the abstract biology and the abstract theology. Abstract biology takes the second recursion theorem as a fundamental theorem. Abstract theology takes as fundamental theorem the fact that some machine can prove a form of the second recursion theorem. It is known in the literature as the "Gödel's diagonalization lemma".

You make a good choice to study embryogenesis, it is a fundamental and deep process. My initial motivation comes from biology. I learned and discovered computer science in the molecular genetics of bacteria, notably through the famous paper by Jacob and Monod on the 'lactose operon" (the genetical regulation of enzymes managing the sugar "lactose"). Without the little book on Gödel's theorem by Nagel and Newman, I might have become a molecular biologist :)

I still love Planarians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0QzSYQGsnA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9EuFuJF9N0

And here a planarian with 8 heads!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ew3yupNMF8&NR=1

I was used to have planarian as pets, a long time ago.

Best wishes,

Bruno