On 06/03/11 15:19, 1Z wrote:

On Mar 4, 7:10 pm, Andrew Soltau<andrewsol...@gmail.com>  wrote:
I remind you that we are in the everything list which is based on the
idea that "everything" is simpler than "something".
If we take Chalmers and Bitbol seriously, consciousness is a perfectly
symmetrical emergent property of the Everything, and you can't get much
simpler than that.
Hmm. Apart from the fact that no one knows what "emergent" means

I think of it as the common definition that it is a property of a system not present in any part or aspect of a system.

On my view, phenomenal consciousness is a property of the unitary system the way transport is a property of a working vehicle. It's what it does!