On 9 March 2011 14:39, 1Z <peterdjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> So on this basis you would claim that heat is *ontologically* (i.e.
>> not merely epistemologically) distinguishable from molecular motion?
>>
> No. I would say it is ontologically the same as molecular
> motion, and molecular motion exists, so heat exists, so
> heat was not eliminated

It seems that you persistently misunderstand the meaning of
elimination in this context. If something can be shown to be a
composite of more fundamental ontological components, it is of course
disqualified (i.e. eliminated) thereby as an ontological fundamental,
else such use of the terms "ontological", "fundamental" and
"eliminated" is rendered meaningless.  Hence heat can indeed be
eliminated from the catalogue of ontological fundamentals in this way,
and understood as consisting in the more fundamental phenomenon of
molecular motion.  Of course the *concept* (and a fortiori the
sensation) of heat isn't thereby eliminated epistemologically, but
this is the very distinction we are trying to establish on a firm
footing.  The reductionist programme seeks to eliminate any need (in
principle) to appeal to any and all non-fundamental ontological
entities in precisely this way, and hence show ontology as resting on
a single fundamental base, thereby situating composite entities at the
epistemological level.

David