On 3/9/2011 5:30 AM, 1Z wrote:
Zombies are not a typical example of the problems of reduction,
they are an instance of the reduction being bought too cheaply:
the reductive materialist presents the off-the-peg conclusion that
consciousness
"just is" neural firing, without filling in the explanation that
allows
us to see that it*must be*, so that we instead remain being able to
see that it
*might not*  be!

But keep in mind what counts as "explanation". In science it is really just a model that tells us how something can manipulated. The molecular model of heat works as an explanation because it connects different phenomenon, e.g. heating of a gas due to compression, heating due to friction.

I think eventually we will have a theory tells us which kind of neural firings or computation produce what kind of conscious thoughts. And that will be the end of explanation.