On 3/9/2011 8:49 AM, 1Z wrote:
If you have a theory of qualia using primitive matter, and coherent
>  with comp, then you should be able to use it to extract a flaw in the
>  UD Argument.
Here's one: minds can be computed,  but they only have
real conscious if they run "on the metal" (at the zeroth
level of abstraction). That's not your version of COMP,
but it is adequate for most AI researchers, and for
anybody who wants to be reincarnated in silicon

But how do we know what the zeroth level is? What is really meant is OUR level - the one in which we can give ostensive definitions. Which is my point about BIVs. We can only know them to be conscious insofar as they can be grounded in our zeroth level.