On 3/13/2011 7:06 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 13 Mar 2011, at 08:29, Jason Resch wrote:

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com <mailto:stath...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Andrew Soltau
    <andrewsol...@gmail.com <mailto:andrewsol...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    > So, 'first person indeterminacy' simply means that I don't know
    what
    > observation I will make next?

    It is not just ignorance, it is true indeterminacy. Even if you have
    all the information you cannot know which observation you will make
    next.

    --
    Stathis Papaioannou

To add to Bruno's and Stathis's point, first person indeterminacy, even when the details of the experiment are known, is an essential piece of the Sleeping Beauty Problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_Beauty_problem

This is indeed a beautiful problem, but I am not sure I see the relationship with first person indeterminacy, which involves explicit copy and duplication of the body of a person, at its correct substitution level.

Sleeping Beauty is continually duplicated at a succession of times; she just doesn't know which one she is when the question is asked.