-----Original Message-----
From: Russell Standish
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:07 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: A possible flaw un UDA?

I confess I got lost too with your presentation. My gut feeling is your
discomfort stems from an "almost magical" insertion of the subjective
(ie a knower) into the UDA. Another way of putting it is "what runs
the UD?".

However, the knower is introduced explicitly with the "yes, doctor"
assumption - that I survive with my "brain" substituted by a digital
device. What is this "I" if it isn't the knower? What possible meaning
can "survive" have, without there being a sense of "being"?

Externally, a UD just exists as a static program (just a number that
exists platonically). However, once you have a knower, you can run the
UD, albeit viewed from the inside. In my book I make this explicit
with the TIME postulate, but I don't see anything hugely controversial
about it. It is not referring to any external time, just that the
knower cannot experience all experiences at once.

Have I put my finger on it, or is this just wide of the mark?

--
**
[SPK] Hi Russell,

    Yes, that is part of the discomfort. Another is a feeling that the UDA is
the semantic equivalent of building a beautiful castle in midair. One first
erects is  a brilliant scaffolding then inserts the castle high up on top of
the scaffolding. We then are invited to think that the castle will stay in
place after the scaffolding is removed. Let me be clear, I find Bruno's idea to
be work of pure genius. I delight in it and I deeply admire Bruno and his
tenacity. I just was to remove these nagging doubts I have about it. I want to
be absolutely sure that it can stand up to ferocious and diligent attacks
before I will commit to it.

     Let us consider in detail an idea that emerged here in my post and Bruno's
response:

***
start cut/paste