On 4/15/2011 12:45 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
This shows only that we don't have free-will in the absolute incompatibilist sense, but there are compatibilist theories, which explains well the correctness of a relative (to the subject) incompatibilist feature of free will.

Critics of free-will are based on error confusion level. I think it is a bit dangerous, especially that there is already a social tendency to dissolve responsibility among those taking decisions.

But they want to deny compatibilist free will too. You never hear politicians use the excuse, "I did it because that's who I am."

Brent

We are just not living at the level were we are determined. If we were, we could replace jail by hospital, and people would feel having the right to justify any act by uncontrollable pulsions. This leads to person and conscience eliminativism.