On Apr 19, 7:26 am, Rex Allen <rexallen31...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 1:26 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > On 4/18/2011 9:55 AM, Rex Allen wrote:
>
> >> If there are commonalities in individuals who manifest certain
> >> behaviors, then it makes sense to look at those commonalities as
> >> causal (especially once a plausible mechanism can be identified), and
> >> to no longer treat those behaviors as "free".
>
> >> In most situations it doesn't make sense to look at each individual as
> >> unique and "free"...instead it makes sense to look at what is common
> >> accross individuals and assume the existence of a mechanism that
> >> accounts for those commonalities.
>
> > So if almost everyone is deterred from committing crimes by community
> > approbation and fear of punishment, the person who does commit a crime
> > should be treated as "free"?
>
> If we consider the case of this person, and are unable to see any
> plausible explanation that could account for their behavior - no
> commonalities with other cases, nothing that matches against any other
> statistics, no plausible mechanisms from sociology, neurology,
> psychiatry, medicine, biology, genetics, chemistry, or physics...then
> sure, treat him as “free”.
>
> That was exactly the situation we were in a thousand years ago.  And
> it was justifiable - in that the approach does “work” to some extent,
> and they didn’t know of any better way to go about it.
>
> I just think that there are better ways to go about it now.
>
> It would be odd if we have access to all of the above information, and
> all of the productivity and wealth of the modern world  - and yet we
> can’t really come up with any significantly better approaches to
> ordering society than “Getting Tough on Crime” or “Three Strikes”
> laws.

You keep trying to link by sheer repetition ideas that are logically
distinct:
whether libertarian FW is meaningful and true; and whether a punitive
approach
to crime is right. The 70% of people in 36 countries will  include a
lot who
live under justice regimes considerably more liberal than that of the
US.