From: meekerdb
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:43 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Reading The Theory of Nothing
On 4/28/2011 2:20 PM, Stephen Paul King wrote:
  Hi Russell,

      But does this only make the problem worse? The quantity of information
that would have to be specified in analogue recordings would be at least some
power greater than the information necessary to specify the finite bit digital
version! I would like to be wrong on this, but ISTM that the Newtonian picture
of the universe demands infinite computational resources to implement the
Laplace Demon. I am trying to make sense of the Bekenstein bound and an idea in
resent discussion by David Deutsch in his On Optimism speech – a speech that I
wish all persons would watch and comprehend.
      I do overthink things. My lovely and brilliant wife often points this out
to me. Please allow me to ask another question. Is the notion of an “observer
moment” corresponding to “the smallest possible conscious experience” related
to Bruno’s concept of substitution level? ISTM that both act like the idea of a
coarse graining on an ensemble that is used to define the entropy of a system
in that all of the members of the ensemble that are indistinguishable from a
macroscopic point of view. Related to this see:
http://dare.uva.nl/document/134446

What book is this?

Brent

  Hi Bent,

    I honestly do not know. I found it from a Google search some time ago. The
parent site is http://dare.uva.nl/ ,a “Digital Academic Repository” associated
with the University of Amsterdam.

Onward!

Stephen