On 5/1/2011 1:05 PM, John Mikes wrote:
Observer: I generalize the term to anything getting into relational connection with anything else, not restricted to 'conscious' (horribile dictu: "human"?) observers. So I would not call 'it' a "he". My question was: can a mental object (thought?) be observing in my sense? (That would be an extension to a 'physical' view).

"Relational connection" is very broad, so I'd say it's certainly possible for a mental object, a thought, to have a relational connection to another mental object (one thought follows another) or to a physical object (I thought of a chair). When we speak of observing and observers there is usually an implication that others could also observe the 'same' thing (allowing for points of view differences). This is why Bohr emphasized the logical priority of the classical in empirical science.