From: meekerdb
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2011 7:24 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Max Substitution level = Min Observer Moment?
On 5/1/2011 3:23 PM, Stephen Paul King wrote:
  It does not exist "ontologically", but still exist (and is unavoidable)
epistemologically. X can exist, but the UDA shows that it would be without any
explanatory purpose: we cannot attach consciousness to it, so we have no
choice, for explaining the appearance of X, to "reduce" it to number relations.
The self-reference logics show that such an enterprise makes sense. And from
this we get a coherent, conceptually simple, theory of both quanta and qualia.
It is as close as it is possible to a solution of the "hard problem of
consciousness" (that is the mind-body problem).

  [SPK] You define existence in a way that is very different from how I define
it. For me “to exist” is a pure ontological 3p. I consider existence as purely
possible necessity. This makes any epistemological existence supervenient upon
its possible necessity in the ontological sense. “To exist” is distinct from
“to be manifest” or “to be knowable” or “to be provable” or any other 1p
predication.

First we have experiences and then we make a model of what exists.
Epistemology precedes ontology.

Brent

Pfft, naïve realism...