From: meekerdb
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2011 11:58 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Against the Doomsday hypothesis
On 5/8/2011 7:53 PM, Stephen Paul King wrote:
      I think that the ‘Surprise 20 Questions’ idea that John Wheeler
considered in his famous ‘It from Bit’ paper might be more appropriate. Any OM
that is a possible continuance of another OM must not contain information that
is inconsistent with any previous OM in its sequence, up to some constant that
relates to the upper bound on the resolving power of a typical measurement. We
additionally need to consider that possible interactions between physical
systems would also constrain the information in the OMs such that no OM in a
sequence could contain information that contradicts that of another that is
related to some separate but co-existing system.
      Instead of thinking of the content of OMs in terms of some statistical
measure, I think that it might be a better idea to consider exactly how OM are
sequenced together such that the White Rabbit problem is minimized. This method
is what Pratt uses in his residuation idea in his process dualism solution to
the concurrency problem, where each state/event transition occurs so long as
both physical conservation laws and logical non-contradiction laws are upheld.
It seems to me that this bypasses the measure problem completely.”

It might bypass the measure problem if the world were Newtonian, i.e.
deterministic.  But QM tells us that it isn't.