On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> The other theory that Stathis is explicating takes OM's to be atomic and
> discrete. In that case they would have to be strung together by some
> internal reference, one to another.  I don't think that's a viable theory
> since in order to make them atomic, they must have only small amounts of
> information - when I have a thought it doesn't necessarily include any
> memory of or reference to previous thoughts.  It is also difficult to see
> how the empirical experience of time can be accounted for in this theory.

The OM's are just moments of subjective experience. They are
continuous rather than discrete, since they can be arbitrarily
divided. I am having a thought right now, but I can't say with
certainty when the thought started. It may have started a nanosecond
ago, even though I remember starting to count up from zero and am now
at the number ten. That is, I am at the number ten but it may only be
the last part, the "n" of the ten that I have actually thought; it's
only a ten when I look back and have the false memory of counting.

When I have a small thought it doesn't necessarily include memories of
previous thoughts, and certainly not of my whole past life. But if
that presented a problem for sequencing of disjointedly generated OM's
it would present the same problem for a stream of consciousness
generated by a normally functioning brain. If I have a sufficiently
vague moment I may not, in fact, be aware of where, when or even who I
am. When I snap out of it, I recall the vagueness, and I recall that
it happened after I had a cup of coffee and before I stood up to go
for a walk. But the same sequencing would have happened if the coffee,
the vagueness and the walk had all been generated in a disjointed
manner, and there is nothing in the experience which can indicate to
me that this is not in fact what happened.

Stathis Papaioannou