From: Bruno Marchal
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:11 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: On the Sequencing of Observer Moments

On 18 May 2011, at 17:38, meekerdb wrote:

  On 5/18/2011 7:58 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
        That is how meditation and dissociative drug can help you to remind the
consciousness of the "blanche machine", the consciousness of the virgin Löbian
machine. Memories only differentiate consciousness.

      Are you claiming that every thought includes a memory?  A memory of what?
 The immediately preceding thought?

    You lost me. I was pretending the contrary. I was with you on this. It is
*because* a thought (a conscious thought) does not necessarily include a memory
or a reference to previous thoughts that you can remain conscious when taking a
drug which disconnect you from all memories.

  Ok.  I mistook your point.  I agree that memory is not necessary for
consciousness - though I think it is necessary for self-consciousness.

Mystics often distinguishes the "little ego" from the "higher self". Memory,
and, usually, many bodies and things are needed for the little ego, but I am
not sure memory is needed for the "higher self-consciousness". But this might
be a word play. It is possible that consciousness is always the same as higher
self-consciousness. In that case the (little) ego-consciousness appears when
the higher self *forgets* its status, and begin to identify itself with the
memories and the many things it believes it owns.

Bruno

What, you ask, was the beginning of it all?

And it is this ...
Existence that multiplied itself
For sheer delight of being
And plunged into numberless trillions of forms
So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably  (Aurobindo)