On 6/9/2011 1:17 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
I do have a precise theory, (not in my thesis, though) and free-will begins with Löbianity. From this I infer that very plausibly, worms and ants (and perhaps communists) have no free-will, but that spiders, octopus, mice, dogs and humans have it. I thought only homeotermic animals were self-conscious free animals. They can dream and can have empathy, but since recently I accumulate evidence that Löbianity occurs already with many invertebrates. Notably the spider:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VakdmcbHuCA

Bruno

This will sadden my neuroscientist friend who avoids eating animals that have a cereberal cortex on the theory that he thereby avoids eating conscious creatures. He likes lobster.