On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 6:15 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 6/21/2011 4:03 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>
>> If the technology exists to run minds in computers, we can engineer any
>> simulated environment of our choosing, the need to go out and colonize other
>> planets becomes a completely obsolete technique for survival.
>>

> And who will run and maintain the computers?  The Morlocks?

Nanobots or something similar most likely.  It's not inconceivable that such
fabrication and repair can be handled by autonomous machines.  Look at how
all the cells in your body work together to keep your brain operating,
healing, fighting infection, etc.  Similarly, machines could maintain a
computer system.

> Maybe we better just stick with Bruno's theory and pretend they are all
> running in Platonia.

According to Bruno's theory's they are running, as is any computation, the
question is with what measure?  If this is an idea worth pursing and
technical civilizations make it to this stage without killing themselves it
may be highly common.  There are many reasons it makes sense: it saves the
environment from one specie's dominance which harms and weakens the
biosphere on which all life (including the dominent species) depends.  It is
also risky having all these people on one planet, with the rate at which
diseases can spread with air travel, and the number of nuclear weapons.

There is a great disparity of wealth because physical resources are limited,
with brain simulations everyone can be infinite wealthy (design your own
home or copy a design created by someone else)  All houses can be mansions
with perfect vistas, etc.  It allows much greater freedom, in the physical
world our actions are limited because of the potential for harming others,
in the simulated world no one can harm you.  There is no longer any need for
healthcare as people can no longer get sick.   I think there are enough
reasons it makes sense that it is the most rational course to take for any
civilization capable of it, there are enormous benefits and for what cost?
All you are doing is upgrading the hardware.  Would you accept an artificial
heart and lungs that let you perform better than any Olympia athlete, or an
improved immune system such that you never got sick or got cancer?  Why not
accept an artificial brain which is immune to Alzheimer's, dementia, memory
loss, etc?

>> You might say, well who would want to live in a computer simulation, but
>> your life in a simulation can be identical to the one you have already lived
>> (if you wanted it to be).
>>

> Are you imagining that each person will choose the simulation in which they
> exist?  Every man a king.

Every person can have their own universe (or universes) to him or herself if
they want, but of course they can still interact and meet on common ground
if that is desirable.  The difference is similar to that of single-player
games and online multiplayer games.

Jason