On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 5:18 PM, benjayk <benjamin.jaku...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Jason Resch-2 wrote:
>>
>> I've posted this link  before, and it is a long read, but I think it is a
>> great piece which shows what technology ultimately can accomplish:
>> http://frombob.to/you/aconvers.html
>
> I like the story.
>
> In my opinion it potrays advanced beings too much like human beings with
> more possibilities. But this is hard or impossible to avoid, as we can
> potray no concrete scenario that is totally unlike everything we know,
> anymore than worms can imagine human experience, obviously.
>
> I don't believe advanced beings will play around more or less aimlessly.
> They will have a very clear idea of what they want and how to achieve it.
> Why would you play roleplaying games that virtually set you back into the
> past for some time, if you can constantly creatively self-improve in a way
> that your very next experience will be mindblowingly different and better
> and more insightful than your current one?

Another good story along these lines is Cory Doctorow and Benjamin
Rosenbaum's "True Names".

http://craphound.com/?p=2021

"Here's the first installment of a podcast reading of a new novella that I
co-wrote with Hugo- and Nebula-nominee Benjamin Rosenbaum. The story's a
big, 32,000-word piece called "True Names" (in homage to Vernor Vinge's
famous story of the same name), and it involves the galactic wars between
vast, post-Singularity intelligences that are competing to corner the
universe's supply of computation before the heat-death of the universe."

Rex