From: Jason Resch
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 1:30 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: consciousness

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 10:32 PM, B Soroud <bsor...@gmail.com> wrote:

  "if you are thinking about consciousness, then what else could it have been
but consciousness that caused you to think about it"

  Are you saying consciousness literally causes you to objectify consciousness?
Consciousness as a base is required to reflect on consciousness... the question
is whether consciousness can truly be objectified or only falsely so.

There appears to be some confusion.  This is what I am saying:

Selva asked if consciousness is causally effective.  My response is a thought
experiment designed to show that it is:

1. Assume consciousness is not causally effective
2. It follows that consciousness has no effects
3. If consciousness has no effects, then whether present or not it makes do
difference in what happens
4. Consider a universe identical to this one only without any consciousness
(this is possible only in the case where consciousness is causally inert)
5. This universe would have zombie humans that talk about consciousness, that
appear to wonder about consciousness, that write e-mail threads about
consciousness, and so on, yet all this is happening in a universe where
consciousness does not exist.
6. It seems odd that there would be zombies talking and wondering about
consciousness in a universe where there is no such thing as consciousness.

If on the other hand, consciousness is causally effective, as I believe it is,
then zombie universes cannot be identical to our own.  Perhaps you see nothing
wrong with a zombie universe with beings wondering about consciousness, but if
you do, then you should doubt the assumption made at step 1.

Jason

--

Hi Jason,
My only difficulty with this reasoning is the treatment of consciousness as if