Hi, Craig (and I still would appreciate your signing the end of your post,
as several of us list-members do - for easier reading)
you sound like e thinking 'mind' (what is mind?) - with limitations of
course (as you implied).
*Wiring?*
I changed the fundamental 'wiring' of my mental pattern (belief system?)
several times - maybe every 20-30 years or so and still 'feel' the same
solipsistic self. I think our nervous system is tissue-related, part of the
physical world equipment while our mentality grows in unrestricted domains
over the millennia. I believe we are more than 'nerves'. I consider the
brain a TOOL we use in our mentality of which science knows precious
little.

I don't find a 'software package' applicable, just as the 250years ago used
'steam engine' and the electric drive of the 20th c. became obsolete. Free
will was very effective in the hands of religious despots to make the
faithful obedient for fear of punishment thereafter.
Without such there would be hell, greed, brutality, etc. - a reason why
'uncle Lenin' reneged on announcing his communistic society - the heavens of
happiness - before that "new type" of humans ("the Communist Man") can be
developed - described in religious scripts as 'angels'. His merciful death
prevented him to see all that vanish.

It is comforting to sit in anthropocentric lukewarmness, it is time to do
more. And we can.
The model of the so far acquired knowledge base is expanding, yet we think
within. OK, but that does not have to restrict our potentials.

Happy 4th of July
John