REx:

"Information is just that which consciousness finds meaningful."

what I want to know is when did this term enter our lexicon... the Greeks
didn't use it, nor the Romans…. I don’t recall either Descartes, Spinoza,
Leibniz, Hume… using it….

It must have started with either Kant or Hegel… Hegel for sure. We use to
use the word soul or spirit, now we like using the word consciousness… it
has become very popular. .. apparently etymologically it is related with to
know or knowing….  But like I said… in so far as we think of “consciousness”
or define “consciousness”  it instantly becomes a thought or object of
knowledge and not the real thing.