When we talk about consciousness we have to be specific about what
mode of consciousness we are referring to.... there is no
consciousness in and of itself that we are aware of.... so do we mean
self-consciousness, other-consciousness, dream-consciousness, form-
consciousness or phenomenological consciousness in the concrete, or
mental consciousness/phenomenological consciousness in the
abstract....or we can refer to the apparent disappearance of
consciousness all together.

but I don't think we can objectify consciousness as a thing in
itself... as in consciousness of consciousness.

This specificity helps... or we can assume when we talk about
consciousness a generality that includes all of these distinctions.
This seems to more or less abolish the confusion over the term.