On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:16:01PM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
> On 7/19/2011 11:32 AM, ronaldheld wrote:
> >Given limited resources and for only 1 program, it does not seem
> >logical to learn LISP. Are there Windows or DOS executables of the UD?
> >FWIW. I use MAPLE and not Mathematica.
> >                Ronald
>
> Maple is based on LISP.  An executable UD wouldn't be very
> interesting.  Since it doesn't halt what would you do with it?  It's
> the program itself that is more interesting.
>
> Brent

No, unless it changed recently. Unlike most symbolic systems at the
time (eg Reduce, muMath or indeed Mathematica), it wasn't based on
Lisp, or implemented a Lisp-like language, but implemented a very
procedural language. This was both its strength and weakness -
weakness in the sense that you couldn't implement logical reasoning
(give it an equation and ask the system to solve it), but strength in
that competing systems (eg Mathematica) usually couldn't solve such
problems either without extensive procedure-like hints.

Maple was actually implemented in C (in the dim, distant, past, I
worked on the Maple source code).

Going back to the FORTRAN issue (or C++ or Java), these languages do
not make it easy to describe programs written in their own
language. It is probably an exercise in futility to implement a UD in
them, given what we know about universal computing.

It would probably be far easier to do it in some kind of assembler
language (if Lisp, or Lisp-like languages are not your cup of tea). If
you try this - pick an old/simpler assembly language - eg the 8080
instruction set perhaps - rather than modern ones that deal with
multitasking operating systems and virtual memory.

Cheers