On Jul 22, 8:40 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> That would just mean that the neuronal level is too much high for
> being the substitution level. Better to chose the DNA and metabolic
> level.

Right. If you make tweaked real cells out of real atoms that are
arranged as an alternative to DNA, I think you'd have a good chance of
emulating an organism that is conscious. I don't think that you could
control it's behavior deterministically though, it would just be a
clone by another means. The question then becomes, why bother with the
synthetic DNA when natural DNA is already available.

If you're talking about emulating DNA in silicon, I think you still
come out with a convincing sculpture. A glass brain.

Craig