On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 1:16 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Jul 28, 11:23 pm, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > If you used one
> > > real neuron (probably need a group of real neurons in practice) you
> > > might be able to skip all that.
> >
> > So how small can the group of "real" neurons be?  Can it be all
> artificial
> > except for one neuron and function as a normal mind?
>
> I doubt one would do it, but I don't know, it would have to be
> attempted experimentally. Can one person run a continent of robot
> cities?

What if this group of biological neurons was involved in storing a memory of
one's grandmother, and therefore they only activate when the person is
thinking of her?  Would that mean that this hybrid artificial/biological
brain would only be conscious when remembering his grandmother and
unconscious at all other periods in time?  If the hybrid brain can be
conscious when not remembering its grandmother, then what role or purpose do
the biologival neurons serve in that time?

You might argue that the biological neurons would have to be in some more
critical or central area of the brain, but there is no such center of the
brain where everything comes together.

Jason