On 8/6/2011 6:03 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
2. Consciousness isn't a special logical design that turns inanimate
objects and circuits into something that can feel. Matter feels
already - or detects/reacts. Consciousness is just the same principle
run through multiple organic elaborations so that it feels as the
interior of an organism rather than just the interior of cells or
molecules. It scales up.

That's the crux of the argument. Do you suppose that if I were decomposed in my constituent atoms I would still feel? The matter is, ex hypothesi, the same. It seems pretty clear to me that it is not the matter per se that feels, it is the organized matter. So what is it about the organization that results in qualia? One pluasible answer is that it is the way the organized matter (e.g. a neuron or a brain or a computer) processes information. That it is just a property of the matter is not plausible, since disorganized matter behaves much more simply.