On 8/6/2011 3:48 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 06.08.2011 12:27 Stathis Papaioannou said the following:
On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Craig
Weinberg<whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

Consciousness isn't provided. It's not a service. It's like
saying that mass is being provided to an object.

My position is that consciousness occurs necessarily if the sort
of activity that leads to intelligent behaviour occurs. This is
not immediately obvious, at least to me. I assume therefore that
it is not true: that it is possible to have intelligent behaviour
(or neuron-like behaviour) without consciousness. This assumption
is then shown to lead to absurdity.

How do you define intelligent behaviour? For example in the book

Dario Floreano and Claudio Mattiussi, Bio-Inspired Artificial
Intelligence: Theories, Methods, and Technologies, 2008

there is a nice chapter about immune systems. I would say that the
 behaviour of an immune system is very intelligent. What does it
mean then?

Are you asking if it means the immune system is conscious? I don't
know enough about the immune system to be sure, but I don't think the
immune system cogitates. Having faced several infections, does the
immune system generalize or abstract so as to effective against new
different infections?If it does I'd say it is intelligent. That
wouldn't imply that it is conscious of itself though. I think that
requires awareness of others and I doubt your immune system is aware
of mine. Bruno will probably argue that it is conscious, since it is
probably Lobian. But I think this is stretching the meaning of
"conscious" too far.

I do not think that the immune system cogitates, nor I believe that it is conscious. Yet, personally I would describe it behaviour as intelligent. Why not?

Everything is after all about definitions, so was my question.

Right now from curiosity I have read what Wikipedia says

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence

Some people claim that plants have intelligence, then in this case definitely the immune system also has it. Alternatively if we take the definition from "Mainstream Science on Intelligence"

"Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings—"catching on," "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do."

I guess then the immune system does exactly this, it catches on and figures out what to do. Depending on the meaning of "making sense", one can even say that it makes sense of bacteria.

Brent

Evgenii

P.S. The paragraph about intelligence from the book above
http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2011/03/intelligence.html