Jason Resch-2 wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM, benjayk
> <benjamin.jaku...@googlemail.com>wrote:
>

>> I am getting a bit tired of labouring this point, but honestly your
>> theory
>> is postulating something that seems nonsensical to me. Why on earth would
>> believe in the truth of something that *can never be known in any way*
>> (namely, that arithmetics is true without / prior to consciousness)?
>>

> Ben,
>
> Do you think that the 10^10^100th digit of Pi has a certain value even
> though we can never know what it is and no one has ever or will ever (in
> this universe at least) be conscious of it?  If I assert the digit happens
> to be 8, would you agree that my assertion must be either true or false?
> If
> so, where does this truth exist?
Yeah, I think the 10^10^100th digit has certain value, and I agree we will
probably never know it explicitly. But I don't think that we could never
know it in any way. Consciousness just had no reason to focus on this digit
in particular. It wants to know itself as a whole, and not every specific of
the infinite abitrary facts about itself. It wants to compress everything
that can be known into an efficient "format" of perception. Because we know
the algorithm of determining the digits of PI, we already know all digits of
PI in an abstract way, as a potential of knowing. This sense of knowing is
included in what I meant with "in any way". Maybe I should have said
"conceived".

This is the difference. I conceive that there is a 10^10^100th digit of PI,
but I can't conceive of arithmetic without consciousness, because the very
act of conceiving needs consciousness.

benjayk