On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net> wrote:

>> Please explain what would you think would happen if you replaced part
>> of your brain with an unconscious component that interacted normally
>> with the surrounding neurons. Would you say "I feel different" or
>> would you say "I feel exactly the same as before"?
> Hi Stathis,
>    Exactly how would we know that that component was unconscious? What is
> the test?

There is no test, it is just assumed for the purpose of the thought
experiment that the component lacks the special sauce required for
consciousness. We could even say that the component works by magic to
avoid discussions about technical difficulties, and the thought
experiment is unaffected. The conclusion is that such a device is
impossible because it leads to conceptual difficulties.

Stathis Papaioannou