On 8/11/2011 1:14 AM, meekerdb wrote:
On 8/10/2011 8:20 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:
Hi Stathis,

Exactly how would we know that that component was unconscious? What is the test?

Onward!

Stephen

Your just confusing things. It's a hypothetical. Craig holds that only organic kinds of things can be conscious, so hypothetically one could make a functionally identical (input/output) component that was not conscious.

Brent

umm, no, he does not. He is arguing against the idea "everything is a clockwork machine that can be reduced to a finite statement". My point is that we do not have an objective test of consciousness or unconsciousness, so we at best are speculating about that consciousness is or is not.

Onward!

Stephen