On 8/11/2011 12:25 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Aug 11, 3:13 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:

  I think consciousness of perception is a narrative story
the brain makes up for the purpose of memory and future cogitation. That's why we have few conscious memories prior to learning language.
I think consciousness of perception is just perception of perception.
What the retina does to the outside world, the visual cortex does to
the retina, and the rest of the cortex does to the visual areas of the
cortex. We watch the watchers who watch our body watch it's world -
visually, aurally, kinesthetically, etc. Vision is a neurological
narrative in two dimensions (x2).

That's pretty much Antonio Damasio's model of consciousness. Except that it's not passive perception, it's creating a coherent model from the different perceptions. That's why the binocular conflict is resolved just by seeing one image or the other.