On 8/11/2011 1:04 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 11.08.2011 21:25 Craig Weinberg said the following:
On Aug 11, 3:13 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:

I think consciousness of perception is a narrative story the brain
makes up for the purpose of memory and future cogitation. That's
why we have few conscious memories prior to learning language.

I think consciousness of perception is just perception of
perception. What the retina does to the outside world, the visual
cortex does to the retina, and the rest of the cortex does to the
visual areas of the cortex. We watch the watchers who watch our body
watch it's world - visually, aurally, kinesthetically, etc. Vision is
a neurological narrative in two dimensions (x2).

I would say now that consciousness is conscious perception. The main problem in my view though is who follows the narrative. Does your theory answer such a question?

I'd say "You do", there's no separate person to follow it, it just IS. On the other hand, in terms of engineering a robot, I'd put this narrative into long-term memory (disk?) in some kind of easily searched database. Then when some problem came up that wasn't covered by existing modules, the robot would search this database for possible relevant situations in the past. So it would be part of the learning algorithm.

By the way, why you say that vision is a narrative in 2D? I feel myself in 3D. Well, the time is also there, so even 4D.

Right.  As I said, perception is constructive, not passive.

Brent

Evgeny