On 12/08/2011, at 1:06 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure, muscles will contract for any old material that can conduct an
> electric current. A muscle doesn't require a high level conversation
> with the brain's cells to react. We can move in our sleep when we
> aren't subjectively conscious of it.

But can the muscles be made to contract through electrical stimulation in such
a way that you can have an intelligent conversation with them? In a normal
person the brain does the complex calculations which produce intelligible
language from the vocal cords. Can the same calculations be done by computer
stimulating the vocal cords or is there something the computer just won't be
able to do? If so, where will its language deficiencies be, and what is the
specific mathematical problem the brain can solve but the computer can't? If
the computer can't copy human behaviour due to lacking human consciousness that
is equivalent to saying that there are non-computable mathematics in the brain.