On 8/12/2011 5:28 PM, Pilar Morales wrote:
Brent,
Is it possible that zero could have negative charge, positive charge, and neutral charge?

Zero is the cardinality of the empty set. It's not part of the physical world.

Which reminds me, why is it that the photon doesn't have an anti-particle other than itself? It makes no sense to me that Bosons for the most part don't have antimatter equivalents.

They all have anti-particles. It's just that for the uncharged ones may be their own anti-particle.

I would think that the antiparticle of a photon has got to be magnetic in essence.

Photons don't carry charge. If they did they'd interact with other photons and we wouldn't be able to see anything.

If the word wasn't taken already, I would say that the antiparticle of a photon is a graviton

The graviton (if it exists) is a spin 2 particle.

or a magnetron, which to me, gravitation and magnetism are manifestations of the same force, just different reactions to interactions.

Andre Sakharov wrote a famous paper that suggests gravity is an emergent curvature of spacetime from the vacuum fluctuations of quantum fields, including the EM field

 http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~akempf/sakharov.pdf

The idea is popular again because black hole thermodynamics implies gravity could be an entropic force.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0204/0204062v1.pdf

And at the risk of sounding (even more) crazy, I would say that the photon and its anti-particle are entangled at the essential connection point that bridges between matter and that hidden world. Something that makes planets levitate as a magnet levitates a rotating magnet, that carries light, that in every closed system creates an attracting and repulsive force. It is that something that tips over when it collects enough mass and makes it collapse. Not the Higgs. I'm sure there's someone out there who has thought of this and has the math to back it up!!

Somebody may have thought of it, but nobody's been able to back it up.

Brent
My brother rose thru his gravity, while contrariwise I sank due
to my levity.
         --- Mark Twain