On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

> Trying to remember where I have seen the statement about Dennett, I have
> made search on Google.
>
> Two findings (both are not my source though):
>
> 1) Is Daniel Dennett a zombie?
>
> Discussion on ephilosopher.com where the question, I believe is close to
> the statement that I have seen.
>
> "This is not completely serious, but is the crux of my question. It bothers
> me that his and other reductionist theories of consciousness are completely
> denying any phenomenology. It doesn't sit well with me because I am pretty
> convinced that I have one. Now, Dennett would be the first to say that it
> just 'seems' to me that I have a phenomenology but that is the point isn't
> it? If it seems to me then I have it. How can anyone think otherwise?? Are
> theere real zombies out there and is Dennett one of them?"
>
> http://www.ephilosopher.com/**philosophy-forums/metaphysics-**
> and-epistemology/is-daniel-**dennett-a-zombie?/<http://www.ephilosopher.com/philosophy-forums/metaphysics-and-epistemology/is-daniel-dennett-a-zombie?/>
>
> 2) COULD DANIEL DENNETT BE A ZOMBIE? by Mike Kearns
>
> "Could Daniel Dennett be a zombie?
> The way he tells it, you'd almost have to say yes. For he has been kind to
> zombies in his recent writings."
>
> www.kearnsianthoughts.com/**articles/DennettZombie_Mike_**Kearns.pdf<http://www.kearnsianthoughts.com/articles/DennettZombie_Mike_Kearns.pdf>
>

> Dennett by himself seems to deny this:
>
> THE UNIMAGINED PREPOSTEROUSNESS OF ZOMBIES
> Daniel C. Dennett
> SYMPOSIUM ON ‘CONVERSATIONS WITH ZOMBIES
> eripsa.org/files/dennett%**20zombies.pdf<http://eripsa.org/files/dennett%20zombies.pdf>
>
> Interestingly enough, Dennett has invented a zimbo:
>
> "I introduced the category of a zimbo, by definition a zombie equipped for
> higher-order reflective informational states (e.g., beliefs about its other
> beliefs and its other zombic states)."
>
> Hence he could be not a zombie but a zimbo.

Dennett thinks that the idea of zombies/zimbos is inconsistent and therefore
that neither can exist.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie

Dennett argues that "when philosophers claim that zombies are conceivable,
they invariably underestimate the task of conception (or imagination), and
end up imagining something that violates their own
definition".[8]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie#cite_note-7>
[9]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie#cite_note-Dennett.2C_1995.2C_p._322-8>He
coined the term
*zimboes* (p-zombies that have second-order
beliefs<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-order_logic>)
to argue that the idea of a p-zombie is
incoherent;[10]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie#cite_note-9>"Zimboes
think
Z they are conscious, thinkZ they have qualia, thinkZ they suffer pains –
they are just 'wrong' (according to this lamentable tradition), in ways that
neither they nor we could ever
discover!".[9]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie#cite_note-Dennett.2C_1995.2C_p._322-8>As
p-zombies in an observed world would be indistinguishable from the
observer (and therefore non-existent as a class) one must either believe
that anyone, including oneself, might be a zombie or else that no one may be
a zombie. One's own conviction about being (or not being) a zombie is a
product of the physical world and is no different from anyone else's. When a
distinction is made in one's mind between a hypothetical zombie and oneself
(assumed not to be a zombie), this concept of oneself (under reductive
physicalism) can only correspond to physical reality. The hypothetical
zombie, which is only a subset of the concept of oneself, will entail a
deficit in observables (cognitive systems), a "seductive
error"[9]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie#cite_note-Dennett.2C_1995.2C_p._322-8>contradicting
the original definition of a zombie.

Jason