On 8/23/2011 7:20 AM, ronaldheld wrote:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1108/1108.4175v1.pdf
    Any comments?
                                 Ronald

Hi,

From the paper:
"The most challenging idea in these experiments was Scully’s delayed-
choice: one has a pair of photons propagating in opposite directions. One
of them is absorbed by a detector, and only after this absorbtion has taken
place it is decided on its ’partner’ (automatically and in a random way) if the
former photon was a which-way one (in the essentially double-slit experiment
performed) or an interference one. Attempts to think about the fate of the
photons in a collapse way seemed to suggest an effect going backwards in
time. Hence, the quantum mechanical formalism seemed doomed to the
mentioned degradation."

Research by others on 'weak measurements' seems to strongly indicate that this effect is not just an artifact of the collapse interpretation. This is one of the things about QM that gets neglected by the use of classical approximations. It is as if we are so willful that the world is nice and neat and independent of us that we are willing to paper over a clear message that that kind of thinking is simply wrong.

Onward!

Stephen