On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:24 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

>> The subject feels he initiates and has control over the voluntary
>> movement but not the involuntary movement. That's the difference
>> between them. Both types of movement, however, are completely
>> determined by the low level behaviour of the matter in the brain,
>> which can in theory be modeled by a computer. No particle moves
>> unless it is pushed by another particle or force, otherwise it's
>> magic, like a table levitating.
>
> I would appreciate if you could be more specific about the mechanism on how
> movement of atoms leads for example to creation of a book about
> consciousness. Such a book is after all just a collection of atoms, this is
> true. For me however a self-assembly of such a book is just a magic.

The atoms have to move in order to write the book. They have to move
inside the brain of the author, then his hands have to move, the keys
on the computer keyboard move, and so on. Also, things have to happen
prior to the book being written. The universe arises, stars and
planets form, life evolves, the author is born, photons from books he
has read on consciousness impact on his retina which then leads to
reactions in his visual cortex and language centre. It's all very
complex, of course, but there is a causal chain of events. If you had
the right physical theory and enough computing power you could start
with the Big Bang, run a computer simulation and end up with the book.
Quantum mechanics does not preclude such a simulation.

--
Stathis Papaioannou