On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

>> Consider a single carbon atom in a book. The atom follows a
>> trajectory from where it was one thousand years ago to where it is in
>> the book today. Do you believe that at every point in this trajectory
>> it moves due to the forces acting on it, or do you believe that at
>> some point the atom is influenced by non-physical factors to move in
>> a way contrary to physical laws?
>
> At the moment, I can exclude nothing. In my current view, the existence of
> books in general and in particular on consciousness contradicts with known
> physics. It well might be that this contradiction is illusory, I do not
> know. Hence there was my question. If you know a plausible mechanism how
> books could be self-assembled, please just describe it.

So you do believe that somewhere in the trajectory of the carbon atom
as it makes its way into the book it will move contrary to any
physical laws. If this happens in cells all the time it should be
easily observable. Does the fact that nothing like this has ever been
observed count for anything?

> In this series there is a clear statement that there are questions that we
> cannot solve, for example if the Universe is eternal or not. You rely on
> cause and at the same time on Big Bang. But then Big Bang seems to have no
> cause. Or do you know one in this case?

That is a question that presents some mystery and cosmologists argue
about. But very few biochemists would claim that miraculous chemical
reactions occur inside neurons.

--
Stathis Papaioannou