On 9/4/2011 11:32 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 04.09.2011 17:30 Stathis Papaioannou said the following:

On 04/09/2011, at 11:25 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi<use...@rudnyi.ru>
wrote:

If that's what you're trying you're giving aid and comfort
to the enemy. Every religious fundamentalist in America
hates materialism and believes in an immaterial spirit,
distinct from brain processes, which is responsible for our
thoughts and actions.

You know, I was raised in the USSR where the official religion
was atheism and materialism. The results were disastrous.

Hence you could take the existence of people in the USA who
"believe in an immaterial spirit, distinct from brain
processes" positively. After all, they are working hard and
contribute to prosperity.

In any case, I do not think that the ideology should affect
reasoning.

It does affect reasoning, that's the problem. A religious person
usually can't say what evidence would make them change their
religious views, because they are views they hold without
evidence.

A dialog from lectures of Prof Hoenen:

A physicist comes to a theologian: "You know, I have checked
everything from an elementary particle to the Universe. God does
not exist, as I have not found him."

A theologian: "You have done your job well. I would be really
surprised if you could find the God."

Of course believers in fairies and leprechauns would have said the
same thing - and once did.

Let me compare your statement above (A) with your another statement (B):

>In other models it (Big Bang) is
>generated by collision of M-branes,

I am not sure if I see the difference. A philosopher here would say that you implicitly use some absolute presuppositions that will give sense to (B) and deny sense of (A). Yet, in my view it would be nice to write down your absolute presuppositions explicitly. From the viewpoint of empirical science, I would say that both (A) and (B) are at the same level.

Brent

Do not also forget what what Bruno says about theology. I
personally agree with him because as long as we leave the empirical
basis, we start using our beliefs.

Finally imagine that you are a boss of a company. Could you be
successful if you believe that everything is determined by the
initial conditions of the Universe?

Sure. Why not?

Brent

It would be good to make an empirical sociological study to find it out.

Evgenii