Jon,

    Hi.  Thanks for the feedback.  The empty set as the building block
of existence is exactly the point I as making in my original posting
that started this thread.  What you're referring to as the empty set,
I was referring to as how what has previously been called absolute
"non-existence" or "nothing" completely describes, or defines, the
entirety of what is present and is thus an existent state, or
something. This existent state of mine is what others would call the
empty set.   The reason this is worth thinking about is because just
saying that the empty set is the basis of existence doesn't explain
why that empty set is there in the first place.  This is what I was
trying to get at.  Additionally, there has to be some mechanism
inherent in this existent state previously referred to as absolute
"non-existence" (ie, the empty set) that allows it to replicate itself
and produce the universe, energy, etc. This is needed because it
appears that there's more to the universe than just a single empty
existent state and that things are moving around.  What I suggested in
the paper at my website was that:

1. Assume what has previously been called "absolute non-existence".

2. This "absolute non-existence" itself, and not our mind's conception
of "non-existence", completely describes, or defines, the entirety of
what is there and is thus actually an existent state, or "something".
This complete definition is equivalent to an edge or boundary defining
what is present and thus giving "substance" or existence to the the
thing.   This complete definition, edge, or boundary is like the curly
braces around the empty set.

3. Now, by the assumption in step 1, there is also "absolute non-
existence" all around the edge of the existent state formed in step
2.   This "absolute non-existence" also completely describes, or
defines the entirety of what is there and is thus also an existent
state.  That is, the first existent state has reproduced itself.  I
think that the existenet state that is what has been previously called
"absolute non-existence" has the unique property of being able to
reproduce itself.

4. This process continues ad infinitum in kind of a cellular automaton-
like process to form in a big bang-like expansion a larger set of
existent states - our universe.

    This is described in more detail in the paper at my website at:

https://sites.google.com/site/ralphthewebsite/filecabinet/why-things-exist-something-nothing

There's also some more detail on how the above process can lead to the
presence of energy in the universe.

    Tegmark's assumption of a mathematical construct as the basis of
our existence doesn't explain where this construct comes from or how
it reproduces to form the universe.  Wheeler's idea that the
distinction between the observer and the observed could be the
mechanism of giving existence to non-existence could be fit into my
idea, I think, by saying that the observed is what has previously been
called "absolute non-existence", and the observer is the fact that
this "absolute non-existence" completely defines the entirety of what
is present and is like the edge or boundary defining what is there.
Speculating even further, one could say that this edge or boundary is
the same as the strings/membranes that physicists think make up the
universe.

    Anyways, thanks again for restarting this thread!

                                                               Roger