On 9/21/2011 8:40 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:
AFAIK, a wave function or state vector, absent the specification of a measurement basis must be considered to be in a state where all of its observable properties are in a state of linear superposition, this they are 'indefinite" and thus it follow that they are indeed contingent on the specification of a basis. Where am I going wrong?

No, it is in an eigenstate of some set of operators. It is only in a superposition if you choose some other operator. Didn't you look at the "fewer worlds" paper I cited:

Certainty and Uncertainty in Quantum Information Processing
Eleanor G. Rieffel
(Submitted on 13 Feb 2007)

This survey, aimed at information processing researchers, highlights intriguing but lesser known results, corrects misconceptions, and suggests research areas. Themes include: certainty in quantum algorithms; the "fewer worlds" theory of quantum mechanics; quantum learning; probability theory versus quantum mechanics.

Comments: Invited paper accompanying invited talk to AAAI Spring Symposium 2007. Comments, corrections, and suggestions would be most welcome
Subjects:     Quantum Physics (quant-ph)
Report number:     FXPAL-TR-06-017
Cite as:     arXiv:quant-ph/0702121v1