Hi Roger,

On 23 Sep 2011, at 07:37, Roger Granet wrote:

Bruno,

    Hi.  Yes, I am pretty much a materialist/physicalist.

So, you cannot defend the idea that the brain (or whatever responsible for our consciousness) is Turing emulable. OK?

When people say that there are these mathematical truths, platonic ideals, etc. that exist somewhere, I always say: Show me where they are. Point them out now.

Mathematical truth is in the mind of persons. And assuming we are machine, mathematical truth is in the mind of numbers relatively to numbers. Of course we have to assume all elementary arithmetical truth, like "17 is prime". Do you doubt them?

To ask that a number should be somewhere is a category error. Numbers are not space-time object. It means also that you assume space and time, which is a more complex notion than numbers.

I might ask you where is the physical universe, or where is time, where is space. Those are very useful local notion, but to reify them appears to be a gross extrapolation from our sensations. And besides, if the brain works like a machine (at some level), then I can explain why space and time emerges in the mind of some special relative numbers.

So, while nobody can disprove the existence of these things, we can't really do much with them either it seems to me. There just more of the things people claim to exist but can provide no evidence for. However, I admit that I can also never directly prove my ideas about what used to be called "non-existence" because no person or minds would be present there. All we can do is use our unprovable, but hopefully logical, hypotheses to build internally consistent models that are consistent with known facts and that eventually can make testable predictions. This is where I want to work towards because otherwise, it's all just talk.

OK. But then you have to build a sufficiently precise theory, so that we can criticize it. The problem with nothingness is that it is, a priori, just a word, indeed, and to make it precise requires some theory. For example, the quantum vacuum needs the quantum theory. The empty set needs set theory, 0 needs number theory, etc.

In regards to consciousness, I feel pretty much the same. Consciousness is just the output of all the neurons, neural circuits, ion gradients, etc. in your brain.

This is extremely ambiguous. But from the UDP (the universal dovetailer proof), or UDA UD Argument, either the neurons, neural circuits, ion gradients, etc. in your brain, are Turing emulable, and in this case physicalism is refuted, or there are not, in which case you are developing a non mechanist theory (which is something I respect, although I expect such theories to be very complex one, and quite different from everything we know from observation and logic).

Again, if it's something else, I'd say: Show me where this consciousness/mind is that's not in the brain.

It belongs, assuming mechanism, to the infinite number relations that you can derive from addition and multiplication alone.

My views may be colored by my job as a biochemist, though. But, I'm guessing that most people in science may feel this way.

Most people in science, both atheists and christians, take Aristotle theology for granted, or are just influenced bu it, without really knowing. The only progress for Platonist theologians is that instead of being burned alive or bannished, they are just ignored. I'm not even sure that it is a progress, actually. To be sure I am not talking about my own work, which has been verified by courageous scientists, ---I have been lucky, but on the whole history since the closure of Plato Academy in Athena (about 500 after JC). What does not help today is the abyssal gap between the logicians and the physicists.

For trying to think of why there is something rather than nothing, I don't think there can be any postulated conscious observer other than some physical property intrinsic to whatever existent state we're considering. Otherwise, that doesn't explain where the observer comes from.

I am afraid you are begging the question by assuming something physical. Where does *that* come from. What is it. Mechanism can explain were both matter/space/time, and subjectivity arise come from. They are derived from the addition and multiplication laws of natural numbers. The origin is not direct, nor physical in any sense, but is made possible by the self-referential ability that some numbers display. The details of that explanation needs some amount of theoretical computer science. But the argument showing the incompatibility of mechanism and weak materialism (the doctrine saying that primitive matter exists) is accessible to anyone with enough patience + a passive understanding of Church thesis.
You might try to understand the 8 steps proof given here:
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html

    Thanks.

You are welcome,

Bruno