On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Jason Resch<jasonre...@gmail.com>  wrote:

On Sep 29, 2011, at 8:12 AM, Stathis Papaioannou<stath...@gmail.com>  wrote:

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Jason Resch<jasonre...@gmail.com>  wrote:

If it takes the brain 100 ms to compute a moment of awareness, then you
can
know you were not created 1 microsecond ago.
Suppose your brain paused for 1 us every 99 ms. To an external
observer you would be functioning normally; do you think you would be
a philosophical zombie? We can change the thought experiment to make
the pauses and the duration of consciousness between the pauses
arbitrarily long, effectively cutting up consciousness however we
want, even if a conscious moment is smeared out over time.

I think you missed what I was attempting to say.

I agree that it would function normally with the introduction of pauses.
  Let's say the brain was uploaded and on a computer.  The scheduler would do
a context switch to let another process run.  This would not affect the
brain or create a zombie.  We could even pause the brain, send it over the
wire to another computer and execute it there, without a problem.

What I think would be problematic is starting a brain simulation without any
prior computational history.  I think it might take some minimum amount of
time (computation) before that brain could be aware of anything.
It's a strange, almost paradoxical result but I think observer moments
can be sub-conscious. If we say the minimum duration of a conscious
moment is 100ms then 99ms and the remaining 1ms of this can occur at
different times, perhaps billions of years of real time apart, perhaps
simultaneously or in the reverse order. You would have the experience
provided only that the full 100ms even if broken up into infinitesimal
intervals occurs somewhere, sometime.

That sounds like a temporal homunculus.  :-)

Note that on a nanosecond scale there is no "state of the brain". Relativity applies to brains too and so the time order of events on opposite sides of your head only defined to within about a nanosecond.