Hi John,

I was not thinking of truth in any absolute sense. I'm not even sure what that concept means... I was just considering the definiteness of the so-called truth value that one associates with Boolean logic, as in it has a range {0,1). There are logics where this can vary over the Reals! My question is about "where" does arithmetical truth get coded given that it cannot be defined in arithmetic itself? If we consider Arithmetic to be the one and only ontological primitive, it seems to me that we lose the ability to define the very meaningfulness of arithmetic! This is a very different thing than coding one arithmetic statement in another, as we have with Goedel numbering. What I am pointing out is that if we are beign consisstent we have to drop the presumption of an entity to whom a problem is defined, i.e. valuated. This is the problem that I have with all forms of Platonism, they assume something that they disallow: an entity to whom meaning is definite. What distinguishes the Forms from each other at the level of the Forms?

Onward!

Stephen