Stathis,
you wrote quite a 'study' to Craig. May I extract some sentences for
my reflections?
(I delete the entire discussion here)
John M

================================
On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> --
> Stathis Papaioannou
> ===============================

*How do my vocal cords know to produce output relating **to the newspaper?
There must be *some* causal chain, **otherwise it would be magic*....
*"Do they indeed? because we don't know about anything else to do the job
(so far)?  BTW "MAGIC" is a pretty good word.*
*------------------------------*
*If the rest of my brain receives the normal electrochemical stimuli from
the replaced part how could it know that **anything had changed?
You would have to say that the visual cortex has some non-physical influence
on the rest of the brain, but no such effect has ever been observed. What
has been observed is that neurons fire in response to the *
*electrochemical signals from the other neurons with which they interface.*
*"Does it KNOW at all?"IMO the brain is a TOOL acting for "mentality"
(whatever that may be) in ways explained according to our so far detected
conventional sciences. *
*How did they explai electrical, or EM phenomena BEFORE Galvani? or atomic
fission before M. Curie? *
*---------------------------------*
* If there is a **physical cause then we can explain why and predict when **a
neuron will fire; if there is not we can't....That is contrary to science,
by definition.*
*A 'physical' cause? Are we omniscient to know them all? I agree: that would
be contrary to (conventional?) science, not only by definition.*
*----------------------------------------------*
*You claim the putative non-physical influence is ubiquitous in living
cells, so it would not be unreasonable to expect that it would have been
observed, overturning **all of science. But it has never been observed*.
Right on
----------------------------
*The choosing and understanding, everything to do with **consciousness,
cognition and free will, is *as a result of* **the mechanistic neural
activity. That is the conventional *
*scientific view.*
*It may well be. I am still at a loss how the physical (electrical) or
tissue measurements can explain mental effects (incl. consciousness, free
will, emotions etc. as they occur. The "hard problem" is still hard. *
*-------------------------*
*to other parts: "observable" in our poor understanding and explanatory
power of the so far discovered knowledge? *
*Explained by those incomplete causes we SO FAR think we detected? We have a
very poor view of nature, the infinite complexity and epistemologically we
get enrichment all the time. *
*Would you abide by a "science" that ignores the 'rest of it' we may learn
in the future and explains everything on the level of today's total
informative knowledge-base? *
*Please, pardon me for my agnostic view I proudly believe in the power of *
*"I dunno". *

*Regards*
*John M*